Help Community

Notifications
Clear all

If you have a 4 year college degree, will you be overqualified for CNA?

hppygreatful
(@hppygreatful)

I heard that people don't want to hire people who they think is overqualified and might want to move onto another field as soon as they find a job that they are qualified for. However I have a Bachelor of Arts (liberal arts) degree with very little career opportunities so I am worried that they might not hire me based on the fact that I have a degree.

Topic starter Posted : 15/04/2019 7:36 pm
careercrawlers
(@admin)
Member Admin

Hey, congrats on your degree! It's awesome that you have this because it's a real asset. Here's what I think and my opinion is based on my experience.

I think your degree will allow you to move quickly into other areas of nursing. Plus I think starting off as a CNA (certified nursing assistant) is a great way to get your foot in the door. Having this type of education is a great way to show your employer that you have what it takes and that you are serious about the profession. If I were an employer and I know someone had a degree, it shows that they have focus and want to apply themselves even when they move forward. Now it's important to mention NOT every CNA will have a degree and this doesn't mean they are NOT serious but I'm specifically talking in your case. 

If CNA is your starting point and you want to progress than having a degree will definitely open a lot of doors for you. Not to mention, you are use to applying yourself and studying so when it comes time to progress in nursing, you won't have any trouble with the material. Dedication towards the job is something which every field demands, irrespective of your education or your fields of interest. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/04/2019 9:00 pm
jocelyn_0745
(@jocelyn_0745)

I've been in the nursing profession for over 8 years. I transitioned into a RN but because of family problems I had to jump back down to CNA because of the flexibility it provided. I have completed my bachelors and even have 1 year in a masters program. Here's what I can tell you about being overqualified as a CNA - It definitely helps you out. My degree and knowledge actually added to my credibility and people respected my decision a bit more. When you have a degree under your belt, it shows a serious and dedicated side to your experience which otherwise would not be present. Now I'm not saying anything bad about those without a degree, but it "personally" helped me. Also, as I mentioned I made the jump in a RN so my education helped with that too. I didn't have a problem finding work as a CNA and could handle the workload from a RN program when I progressed. 

RN is very consuming (I've found) so if you are looking to jump up the nurse ladder make sure you are ready and you have a lifestyle that will allow you to study and focus. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2019 5:53 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: