Help Community

Notifications
Clear all

Becoming a EMT with a petty theft misdemeanor...

Elisems
(@elisems)

Hello,

I'll soon be starting the EMT program but I've recently been caught stealing an $8 item from a store. I made a horrible horrible mistake and I feel like the lowest of the low lifes right now.. My court date is set for later this month. Is there any possibility for me to ever be hired as a EMT? This is my first offense and I live in the state of Oregon if that helps. I made a stupid mistake and I'm stressing over the possibility that this will forever haunt my career dreams. Any help will be appreciated.

Topic starter Posted : 18/04/2019 6:45 pm
111ideas
(@111ideas)

Woah... ???? you shop lifted something for $8.00 and potentially screwed up your career...yikes! I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe just plead guilty and get it done with. I know after a few years you can get it taken off your record. But not sure about that! It was a stupid mistake and especially in the EMT industry where trust is of importance you might run into a few issues getting employment. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2019 7:17 pm
careercrawlers
(@admin)
Member Admin

Hey thanks for posting your situation here. This community is meant for questions like this! We strive to get you the information you need to follow your career goals. I decided to do some research and found this information. First, since you haven't been yet convicted because you are going to court later this month, nothing is on your record as of yet. Keep your head up and let's hope you can get through this because it seems as thought you regret your mistake and learned from it. However, if convicted here's what the NREMT policy says about criminal convictions -

1) The National Registry may deny an applicant eligibility to sit for a certification examination, deny certification, suspend or revoke an individual’s certification, or take other appropriate action with respect to the applicant’s certification or recertification based on an applicant’s felony
criminal convictions and all other criminal convictions (whether felony or misdemeanor) relating to crimes involving physical assault, use of a dangerous weapon, sexual abuse or assault, abuse of children, the elderly or infirm and crimes against property, including robbery, burglary and
felony theft.
2. All applicants for certification or recertification must disclose any criminal conviction as required on an application.

3. This policy applies to an applicant’s plea of nolo contendre, a guilty plea, or plea agreement, as well as a conviction after trial.

4. Applicants are not required to disclose any criminal conviction that has been expunged from the public record or a deferred adjudication that did not result in the entry of a conviction judgment.

5. Failure to disclose a covered criminal conviction or the withholding of any material information regarding such conviction shall be an independent basis for denial of eligibility to sit for a certification examination, revocation of a certification or denial of an application for recertification.

6. National Registry shall advise licensing authorities of the availability of information related to disclosure of convictions.

7. National Registry may deny an applicant eligibility to sit for the certification examination, or take other appropriate action, if the applicable state licensing authority, in any state in which the applicant holds or seeks a license as an EMS professional, denies the applicant’s eligibility to
obtain, or suspends or revokes, authorization to practice, based on a criminal conviction.

Before I give my opinion on this, you can find the entire criminal conviction policy for NREMT here - https://content.nremt.org/static/documents/Criminal%20Convictions%20Policy_Nov_2018.pdf

So, if you are convicted and something is on your record then you may run into some issues. Again, any conviction which appears on your criminal record will be seen when they do a background check. Misdemeanor are not that serious so you may be given a second chance. If you do get convicted then you can look to get it removed known as a Oregon conviction expungement. Here's what I found regarding that -

"For qualifying offenses, it must have been three years from the date of conviction to be eligible for an Oregon conviction expungement.   If you have been convicted of any other crimes (excluding traffic offenses), this waiting period is extended to 10 years. Once the applicable waiting period has passed, you must meet each of the following conditions below."

Anyways, good luck and please keep us posted 🙂

ReplyQuote
Posted : 18/04/2019 10:28 pm
Elisems
(@elisems)

Wow! thank you for replying and providing me with some detailed info. I will keep you posted. I feel better and hope that I'm given a warning. What a stupid mistake I made 🙁

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 18/04/2019 10:30 pm
Christopher
 Christopher
(@Christopher)

I have been arrested for misdemeanor theft of merchandise.  It was a horrible mistake that I took a plea deal on. I also also have 1 other arrest but no charges where filled. Will these 2 incidents effect me becoming an emt in Louisiana? 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2021 12:31 am
careercrawlers
(@admin)
Member Admin

Hi  Christopher,

How long ago did these convictions take place? To become an EMT, you will require a background check but you becoming an EMT will depend on convictions and when these incidents took place. Once we receive a reply from you, we will contact our partners at the Louisiana.gov to get an answer for you. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2021 1:54 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: