Help Community

Notifications
Clear all

Is A CNA Required before RN?  

RSS
CazAndTea
(@cazandtea)

Hello,

I'm interested in becoming a registered nurse, but I've been told by two BSN nurses that the state of Georgia now requires nurses to obtain their CNA before they can be accepted into a nursing program. Currently, I'm a high school student and I've been creating a plan to get my nursing degree in the future, but I curious to know if I have to get my CNA first (trying to get an idea of how long I will need to be in school and costs).

Thanks!

This topic was modified 1 year ago 2 times by careercrawlers
Posted : 02/05/2019 5:34 pm
careercrawlers
(@admin)
Member Admin

Hi, so I did some research and found the following in regards to your question. It doesn't state you need to be a CNA before you go into a RN or BSN program. I checked two nursing school websites and both mentioned requirements and did not mention having a previously CNA certification. Just so you know, here's the minimum many of the require for acceptance - 

In addition to requiring you to hold a non-nursing bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited university, to be eligible for our 12-month ABSN program, you must:

• Complete the prerequisites for the program prior to enrollment.
  • Have a cumulative GPA of a 3.0 or higher (including a 3.0 GPA for all science courses).
  • Submit a resume and admissions essay.
  • Earn a minimum composite score of 76% on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS).
  • Satisfactorily complete the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), if applicable.

Also, having a CNA certification may help you get admission because of your previous experience and interest in the field.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/05/2019 5:42 pm

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Preview 0 Revisions Saved
Share: